18 July 2006
Food Review: FoodLoft

We went to try out a newly opened restaurant (I presumed so) called FoodLoft in Gurney Plaza. The decor of the place is quite classy; not very toddler friendly though because the restaurant only has two high-chairs! The outlet serves multiple cuisines, rainging from western, Italian, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, local favourites just to name a few. The restaurant's concept is similar to Marche, where each patron will be given a card which you will use to place your order. One would have to walk to their posh-looking kitchen area to place order on the food you want, upon which they'll scan the bar code from the card. If I'm not mistaken, drinks are self-serviced i.e. you have to bring the drinks to your own table.
Although we didn't have to wait very long for the food to be served, the staff's service leaves much to be desired. The extra bowl and teaspoon I asked for were never brought to the table. Somehow the waiter whom acknowledged my request conveniently disappeared. They have many looked-like-busy staffs; are they hired to look busy or to serve? Anyway how long does one need just to bring a bowl and spoon?
Hubby and I decided to try the Vietnamese beef pho while we ordered unagi don for boy; girl decided to have my pho instead of sharing rice with her brother. Our pho turned out to be koay-teow instead; it tastes okay but didn't come close to the one I had in Beaverton, Oregon. The Beaverton's pho is really authentic Vietnamese! *Thumbs up* Unagi don is good though, quite a big chunk of eel garnished with lots of finely shredded nori; boy enjoyed his meal. All of us had one big ais kacang to share ;)
Will we go back again? Not until they have more high chairs, or that girl is tall enough to reach for her food while sitting on ordinary chairs.
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 7/18/2006 04:52:00 pm | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At Tue Jul 18, 05:43:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger domestic rat

    I meant to try this but now that I read your not-so-flattering post, I suppose I will give this a miss!

    BTW, is your msn working well? Mine seems to have gone kooky! My list of contacts are all gone...bleahz...

     
  • At Thu Jul 20, 12:03:00 am GMT+8, Blogger Chen

    Yeah, I know the place but up to date, I never have my meal inside there yet..

     
  • At Wed Aug 23, 06:30:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger jujuqtpie

    I love to try out new places as well but after reading this, I don't know. Maybe for the pho. Is it halal?
    I've been to Marche after reading a review on it in The Edge. I must say the place is overrated and overpriced. Service wasn't that good either.
    By the way, if you're into western, do try Somerset Grill in TTDI across Pizza Hut near that IBM building, the lamb chops there are just to die for.

     
  • At Sun Oct 01, 02:46:00 pm GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    I went to foodloft in penang. The place are so elegant and the food was excellent. I bought a group of five friends there. 3 french chefs on holiday in Penang and 2 finicky queens from down under. They loved the food there much to my relief being the host and I have to show them a worthy place for eating. Believe me if any place can pass that group's judgment, it deserves a medal. Try the tom yam kung. Big juicy prawns. The fish and chips to die for. They offered a lot of food. Sometimes in Penang there is not much to eat besides hawker foods which you can be so bored of it after one day of eating. Thumbs up to Foodloft and being Malaysia I am so glad we have such a wonderful place.

    Proud Malaysia

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 12:16:00 am GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    penang pete

    I think it was very unfair for the person to post she wan't impressed with the food at the Foodloft @ Gurney Plaza based on eating only one selection from the many foods available.

    I've eaten there several times and have no complaint!

    Give the place a try and make up your own mind.

    After all some people think there's nothing like a Big Mac and others say "That's junk food"!