26 May 2006
Boy's Mid-year Progress Report
The forgetful me missed the parent-teacher day at my boy’s kindy last Saturday. The circular about the change of date was distributed a month ago; which explains why I didn’t remember. (Aih… I shouldn’t be making excuses…) I had to go to the school on Tuesday to get his report card and progress update from the kindergarden.

Anyway, I just wanted to make an entry here so boy gets to read it in future.

My boy is making good progress in all the subjects particularly Chinese. It seemed that he has a lot of interest in the subject (from teacher’s observation) because he was very attentive during lessons and being one of the first to spot the teacher’s intentional mistake in strokes of the character. No wonder he scored very well in the test. I had been honest in telling the teacher that I didn’t spend enough time doing revisions with my boy (actually quite embarrassed when I told the teacher).

Overall he is meeting his developmental milestones; in fact the teacher says he is very bright. Miss Tan has only one thing to say, that he is 孩子气 (childish or baby-like behavior). She asked me how he treats his sister at home. I told the teacher that sometimes the sister bullies the brother instead by pinching or pulling his hair, that’s when fights ensue *roll eyes*. “难怪啦!原来是跟妹妹学的。”(“No wonder!!! So he learnt from his sister…” the teacher exclaimed.) “Why?”, I asked; apparently there was a time he mischievously pinched his classmates or pulled other’s hair.

Ms Tan said he is quite independent in school, and that he is quite fast in completing his tasks. This is certainly a surprise to me! Because at home, it takes ages for him to complete his homework. I’d have to supervise him; otherwise he’d be fiddling with the eraser or playing with pencils if he sees me not noticing. He is very chatty in school as well. She sensed something was amiss when he was unusually quiet, and upon checking found him to be running low grade fever (he was well when sent to school).

Teacher observed that he is creative and likes drawing things that do not conform to reality well. She was telling me that once he coloured a tiger green while his classmate was trying to correct him that it should be brown and black. I see this in a positive light though, that he thinks out of the box. As a parent, I’d want to let him express himself freely and nurture that creativity than kill it.

Another surprise for me is that he tells the teacher a lot of things, including when his sister had fever, that his sister was admitted to hospital and so on. He seldom tells me the happenings in school, unless I asked. Sometimes even if I asked, he’d only give a very brief account. I think this is where I slack too; improvement from me will be to make an effort to ask him how his days at school went.

What makes me most happy 欣慰 at the end of the day is Ms Tan thinks Ian is very special. * :) beaming* I don’t know if she tells every parent their child is special; somehow my instinct tells me she meant it. It was just very heartwarming to have the teacher tell me my child is special.
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 5/26/2006 05:01:00 pm | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At Fri May 26, 08:35:00 pm GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey my son also has a progress report. Everything good except my son doesn't want to open his golden mouth to read or talk.

    Not sure sending the sister there will help him.

     
  • At Fri May 26, 10:56:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger L B

    I am not a parent so I can't really say what it is like, but I sense your immense pride in your boy from that post.

     
  • At Sat May 27, 11:31:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Jess

    wow your boy more talkative in school ler, better find out why he seldom report to u his school happenings!

     
  • At Sun May 28, 02:08:00 am GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    ah... one proud mommy :D.

     
  • At Mon May 29, 12:54:00 am GMT+8, Blogger jazzmint

    wow..first time report card day huh..

    must have felt soo good when teacher praise Ian :).

    looks like he got a lot of hidden tricks behind Mommy's back

     
  • At Mon May 29, 09:28:00 am GMT+8, Blogger Egghead

    I think in the future... I would get this from my son's teacher "your son is a real terror!" LOL!

     
  • At Mon May 29, 01:04:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Helen

    Every child is special in their own way! I'm sure u must be very proud of Ian!! :-)

    Talking about green tigers and stuffs, I remembered years ago, my sister asked my boy to pluck chili padis. My boy went and pluck all the green ones and left the red ones intact!! lol Later we found out, my boy is actually a little colour blind! lol

     
  • At Mon May 29, 01:55:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Sue

    Hehe... when it's my turn hope I won't forget too, me also very tai tau har wan...

     
  • At Thu Jun 01, 01:51:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger domesticgoddess

    Dear michelle, perhaps he is afraid the gold will fall out? lol

    Dear l b, maria, yes I'm mighty proud of him! ;)

    Dear jesslyn, well, i'm not too worried... just that i need to encourage him to describe more to me.

    Dear jazzmint, not the first time; i blogged about the 1st time last year but was in mandarin.

    Dear egghead, hahah... we shall see... don't forget to blog about it!

    Dear helen, yep I am! he can distinguish red from green so i hope he is not colour blind...

    Dear sue, hahah... learn from my mistake! jot it down in your diary...