11 November 2005
Food and Childhood Memories
This simple woman tagged me again for a meme regarding food; I still owe her one on the routine check thingy… but that’s gonna kill a lot of me brain cells so I’d conveniently forget that for now. :P

Ahhh… my favourite food *think, think, think* It’s going to be a problem listing them all down because I simply have too many! This just shows what a glutton I am huh? Instead of listing each dish, I’d probably put them into categories. Also, I’ll blog about foods that are associated with childhood memories but may or may not be my all time favourite.

Durian
This fruit seemed to be on everyone’s list! The unique taste and texture aside, what I reminisce most is how the whole family converged at the dining table to open and sample durians from different trees while chatting away. We’d even go out as a family to buy durians during the peak season, walking from stall to stall to get the best. All the branded durians e.g. D24, ang heh whatsoever weren’t heard of. We’d simply settle for small kampung durians, as long as it tastes good. There were times my uncle 小舅bought baskets of durians and invited all his siblings’ families over to his house to eat durians. For us children, it’s always fun to fill water into the shell and drink. Apparently it’s supposed to help cool the body as the durian is heaty. Then there washing our hands by scraping the inner of shell; purportedly remove the smell from your fingers better than any soap! Even now I’d still prefer to eat this fruit at my parent’s place as it is more jolly热闹.

Four-Angled Beans (Kacang Botol)
We used to grow this along the fence separating our house with neighbors in our previous residence. The plant would creep along the wire fence, bearing big and juicy beans. It can be eaten as ulam with sambal belacan and pounded dried shrimp, or stir fry with sambal belacan. Mama would ask is to pluck the beans from the fence when she run out of vegetable to cook.

T’ng Tuk dishes served in traditional wedding eve dinner (lao tneah meh)
Most of the dishes served are my favourites. They include lor bak, too tor th’ng (Pig Tripe Soup), kiam chye ak (Roasted Pork Trotter with Salted Vegie Soup), jiu-hu-char or hu-chi-char, curry chicken, nyonya acar and stir-fry mix vegetables. My aunt 大姨 would especially make her special kerabu to add to it. There were many wedding occasions during my childhood, from aunts and uncles’ to older cousins’. Mama and her sisters would wake up very early in the morning to cut the vegetables, prepare the ingredients and cook the dishes. Naturally we (my sis and I) followed her, and we’d play with our cousins (when we were younger and couldn’t help much) or watch the adults. Later on when we were old enough to help out, we helped cut the vegetable, peel onions/garlic, or even wrap the lor bak. It was fun to work together and listen to our aunts telling stories of their time, gossips or even cracking jokes. That’s a good time to learn about the earlier generations’ stories.

Spaghetti
We were introduced to spaghetti since young, when there weren’t any spaghetti sauce available in supermarket. Mama would cook the sauce from scratch by using tomato puree and some dried herbs bought from supermarket. She’d put sausages, bacons, onions, celery and sliced hard boiled eggs in the sauce. After the spaghetti was boiled to al-dante and drained, she added it to the sauce and let it soaked in the all the flavours. Normally she’d cooked enough for lunch and dinner. It’s kind of a wholesome meal with carbo, protein and fibre all in one dish.

Toast and Eggs
Breakfast was is always an important meal in our family. My Papa would get the morning paper and read it while eating breakfast. Our breakfast was mainly bread/bun/biscuit; the spread can be anything, from simple butter/garlic butter/jam/peanut butter/sugar/milo, to a little more luxurious egg/ham/bacon/spam/sardine/corn beef etc. Occasionally we were allowed to cook instant noodle. My favourite was to have toast with egg sunny-side-up, with a dash of Worchester sauce, some pepper and chilli sauce. If have bacon, even better. Mmm… simply yummy! Another version would be to have half boiled egg with toast!

Assam Laksa and Popiah
Assam laksa is our all time favourite. Once in a while we’d pester Mama to cook this dish. Although a lot of work to be done, especially cutting vegetables and separating the fish bones from the flesh, we would happily do it because we get to eat laksa to our heart’s content. Sometimes my uncle 小舅 would ask the sisters to go to his house to cook laksa and popiah; after the cooking and eating they also enjoy mahjong and/or jin-rummy games. We are a close-knit family!

Chicken and Roast Duck
Steamed/boiled chicken 白切鸡 and roast duck are still my favourites. We get to eat both together whenever there was praying session to the ancestors. Mama would boil the chicken and buy the roast duck from the market. After prayer session, she’d chopped the birds up and we will have a meaty feast heh!

Wow! Didn’t realize I’ve written so much! Must have killed some brain cells there trying to recall those memories. 晓玲, 下次回来大马时记得请我吃一顿大餐补番数呵!:P


Oops, before I forget, I'm tagging sexymama, belacan, loopymeals, fish fish, mama bok and msau. Ok lar, I'm not forcing you to do it, but I'm really really curious what are your 5 favourite foods that are associated with childhook memories lor. You can have more than 5 too heeheehee...
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 11/11/2005 04:52:00 pm | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At Fri Nov 11, 06:14:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Buaya69

    this is gonna cost you some char kueh teow :D

     
  • At Fri Nov 11, 11:13:00 pm GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    don't forget the bak chang, that mama used to make.. the gigantic tub of glutinous rice that is prepared so we can make enough bak chang to share with everyone..

    and also making kueh kapit, a family effort.. taking care of the cooking of the kueh kapit.. and i remember u used to be the one folding it..

    i guess sometimes its not really the food that you miss as much as it is the times spent together that makes the food so memorable is it?

    :)

     
  • At Sat Nov 12, 04:33:00 am GMT+8, Blogger jazzmint

    hehe i used to love durian also...but dunno why now is like see the durian oso boh lat liao...weird!!

     
  • At Sat Nov 12, 04:39:00 pm GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    I haven't do my 为吃tag leh....

     
  • At Sun Nov 13, 12:57:00 am GMT+8, Blogger shiaulin

    see, ur bro (i guess the annoy comment is from ur bro issit?) can remember so many food that associated with childhood wan leh.. how cum u tell me u don't have many...

    BTW, the original meme wasn't like this lar, its supposed 5 childhood memories related to food wor... *okok, is me allowed u to change wan, i shut up :P*

     
  • At Mon Nov 14, 09:53:00 am GMT+8, Blogger mom2ashley

    making me hungry by just reading this posting of yours! ;)

     
  • At Mon Nov 14, 03:02:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger domesticgoddess

    belacan, :PbPbPbPb!

    noname, ditto! And I want Ian and Jean to experience making the kuih-kapit and bak-chang too!

    jazzmint, somehow eating durian not from it's shell seems weird and not taste as good as it should!

    maria, :P so I beat you to it this time

    shiaulin, yeah that was my bro. told you already mah, I have too many to list I even forgotten those two!
    eh, actually the food is related to childhood memories and vice versa wor... so ok la i guess. :P

    dinah, wah now you already drool? what will happen if I put up pictures? kekeke