07 November 2005
Baking Cheese Cake
The plan to bake cheese cake is actually to use up the Tesco digestive biscuits I bought sometime ago. The biscuits are good on its own, except that the chocolate on top of the biscuit has sort of melted. It’s quite messy to store in room temperature, so I put it in the fridge. Turned out that now all the biscuits are stuck to each other, there’s no way to separate the biscuits without breaking them. Yeah I know… my mistake! *sigh* However, thanks to my mistake, now we have a cheese cake to eat! ;)

The recipe is as follow:

For base:
1.5 cups digestive biscuit, crushed
125g butter
For filling:
250g cream cheese
75g sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
100g Toblerone chocolate
For the base, melt the butter and mix evenly with biscuit. Spoon the mixture into 23cm tin. Press on to the base and then chill.
Use electric beater to whip cream cheese and sugar till light and creamy. Add eggs gradually; beating well after each addition and then sour cream. Lastly fold in Toblerone chocolate.
Pour filling on to base and bake for 45 minutes at 160 degree Celcius.

As the intention was to use up all the biscuits, I didn’t bother to measure it precisely. As for butter, only about 70g was used; just nice to hold the crushed biscuits together. I asked hubby to help pressed the mixture to the base of the baking tin while I work on the cream cheese. Job well done or not?


The cream cheese was cut into smaller cubes so that it’s easier to work on. This part you have to give me credit for beating the cheese and sugar manually with a whisk ala-chef style! *bow, bow* Didn’t want to wake others as I was baking my cake 11:30pm, mind you! :P

Now let the photos tell you the story…

1. Add sugar to cream cheease in a big bowl and beat with preferabbly an electric mixer. My arm ached the next day after all that action. *roll eyes*

2. All creamy and nice. See, my kung fu not bad eh?

3. Crack egg in to batter and mix evenly before adding next.

4. After folding in the sour cream, add chopped Toblerone chocolate to batter and fold it in.

Last but not least, pour the batter into the baking tin with pressed crumbs that was chilled earlier. This is how it looks before I shove it into the oven.

Tang Tang Tang Tang ...

The tergendala paragraph was taken out... obviously because I can continue this post with the uploaded photos now.

Updated 8/11/2005 with more photos:

Rising nicely in the oven...

Out from the baking tin...

Side view...

I was quite happy with the taste on first mouthful, subsequently thought it's a tad too sour (may be a little too much sour cream as I didn't get the measurement accurately). Hubby commented about the sourness too but he ate most of the cake anyway hahahah... I brought half to my mama's house for them to try. My brother said it was quite nice except that the base was too hard to cut. Guess hubby pressed too hard... I explicitly asked brother what he thought of the cream cheese part, was it too sour? But he said no wor... So, not a total failure but there's room for improvement.

Want a piece?

 
posted by domesticgoddess at 11/07/2005 11:54:00 am | Permalink |


14 Comments: