11 August 2005
Singing Baby
This is the english version of what I about Jean in mandarin a few post back. I promised Big Bok I would write in English; so here it is :)

About two months ago, I sang "How much is that doggie in the window?" song for Jean while lullaby her to sleep. The lyrics go something like this,

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I must take a trip to California
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If she has a dog, she won't be lonely
And the doggie will have a new home

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I read in the paper there are robbers (roof! roof!)
With flashlights that shine in the dark
If she has a dog, he can protect her
And scare them away with one bark (roof!)

How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale

Every time she hears *arf! arf!* she’d giggle. She likes the song too, because whenever I ask her if she’d like me to sing that song, she would nod her head and pause to listen.

Few days later, I sang that song again and she surprised me with an *arf!* after “How much is that doggie in the window?”! Like little puppy’s bark, short and sweet. She would then wait for the turn to add the *arf!* again, and smile! Isn’t that sweet? :)

Now, she has started to pick up humming some of the nursery rhymes I usually sing to her. Even though her pronunciation is not so clear, we know what she’s sing because she got the melody and rhythm right. For example, I sing “Are you sleeping? Baby Jean” she would sing it as “ah you *hum hum*, baby bee (couldn’t pronounce her own name yet).

Yesterday, I just found out that she‘s beginning to sing a little bit of twinkle twinkle little star.

DG : Twinkle twinkle little.. *pause*
Jean : ah…
DG : How I wonder what you.. *pause*
Jean : ah…
DG : Up above the world so.. *pause*
Jean : ai…
DG : Like a diamond in the.. *pause*
Jean : ky…
DG : *beaming* clever girl! *hugs and kiss kiss baby*
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 8/11/2005 10:38:00 am | Permalink |


8 Comments: