26 July 2005
Fish Pie
Last weekend I baked a fish pie for dinner. It's a recipe by the Naked Chef I watched on travel and living channel weeks ago. A very easy-to-prepare dish and looked yummy, that's why I decided to try it out.

Taa..daa... the picture



It's not really burnt I assure you. Just that the cheddar cheese I sprinkled on top got browned by the baking.

My spouse said after taking the first mouthful, "Mmm... tastes good. I like it!" *DG beaming*
In jest, I told him, "You think your wife cannot cook meh?"
Then he smiled, "Heheheheh... :P"
I asked my brothers to come over to try as well cause there's so much! They liked it too!

I'm not a person of precise-cooking, like measure 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp of salt etc. All I did was just estimate the amount of ingredients based on what I saw on the show. No I didn't take down the amount needed in the recipe (I was relaxing on the couch while watching :P). And it still turned out nice.

Here's the ingredients:

fish fillet, cut in 1-inch width strip - dory fish will be easiest
300g spinach, steamed or boiled
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced or cut into eight-halves
5-6 potatoes, boiled thoroughly and mashed
250ml cream
1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley leaves
30g-40g cheddar cheese, shredded
one medium yellow onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp of lemon/lime juice
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of butter
salt and pepper for seasoning

Steps:
1. Put olive oil in the pan and add the butter. Saute onion and garlic untill fragrant.
2. Add cream to above, stir and add salt and pepper for seasoning.
3. When starting to boil, add in chopped parsley, stir to boil and turn off heat.
4. Add cheddar cheese; heat from sauce will melt the cheese. Stir to blend well. Lastly add lemon juice.
5. In a baking dish, put in the sliced fish fillet at the bottem, then line the spinach on the fish.
6. Place the egg slices on top of spinach, then pour the cream sauce over covering everything.
7. Lastly cover the dish with mashed potatoes on top. Can sprinkle a bit of cheddar cheese if you want (warning: will be easily burnt!).
8. Bake in oven for about 30-40 minutes at 220 degree Celcius. (tips: check from time to time)

Happy trying!
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 7/26/2005 11:03:00 am | Permalink |


4 Comments: