02 August 2005
Birth of Jean - Part II
We arrived at the maternity ward. The nurses quickly hooked up the CTG for me. Hubby was with me so not as boring as in the afternoon. Close to six o’clock, my ob-gyn dropped by to check on me before leaving the clinic. She’d asked me to admit straight away as the baby is going to arrive soonest tonight or latest tomorrow morning. I pleaded with her to let me go back for a shower first heheheh… (I’m sure you know why lah hor :P) She allowed but then cautioned that if my water bag breaks by the time monitoring is done (was to be monitored for another 20 minutes) then I would not be allowed to go back. Happily she bid me good bye.

20 minutes passed quickly; the nurse came to dismantle the CTG hooked to me and helped me get up from the bed. Just then, I felt a trickle of warm fluid at the private parts, as if I just wet my pants. Oh oh… could it be…??!!! Yeah, you guessed it! “I think my water bag had just broken!” I told the nurse. Boohoo… now I couldn’t go home to take shower! :(

No choice, I had to be admitted; so hubby went to do the necessary for hospital admission. I chose to stay in the maternity ward first since the 1st stage labour could take very long. The contractions were very strong, but I didn’t want to ask the nurse for any gas or painkillers because … I thought my pain threshold very high! Partly also want to save $ lah :P Eventually, I surrender to the pain because I could hardly relax and rest to conserve energy for the 2nd stage labour. I rang for the nurse to take me to the labour ward; there I requested for gas, and later asked for painkiller when the pain level didn’t seem to reduce.

Wahlau… the needle for the painkiller was gigantic! I braced myself for the jab on the buttock; luckily it was done in a jiffy! After a few minutes, the contractions were as painful as before.

DG : How come no difference one? *referring to the pain level*

Nurse : You’ve got to give the painkiller time to work, my dear.

I had expected the painkiller to work like magic epidural, count to ten and the pain goes away. How wrong I was! Anyway, later my toleration of the pain got better as I managed to doze of in between contractions. Nurses came in to check on the dilation from time to time; I was especially elated when I heard her say “6cm”! With Ian, I only managed 3cm (if I recall correctly) before going for emergency C-sec. Woohooo! I’m halfway there for VBAC!

Once, after the vaginal check, a gush of warm fluids wet my butt. “Oh, I think your amniotic sac just ruptured.” Nurse said matter-of-factly. “Eh, I thought it was broken already?” I asked. “Hmmm… no lah, it just broke. Perhaps it was only leaking just now.” Gah! I could’ve gone back for shower just now!

A relaxed mind and body does help accelerate the dilation process I think. Even kind of dazed, I could hear the nurse who checked on me telling the other “9cm, and very thin already.” Suddenly I became so alert hearing that heheheh…

By now, it’s slightly past 8pm. I felt like pushing, you know… push like when you do the big business, when the contraction came. But I dared not because I feared the baby might come out if I do (yeah… silly me!). Holding back the urge (to push) was actually worse than pushing; uncomfortable is an understatement! Luckily the experienced nurse came in shortly after and asked,

Nurse : Do you feel the urge to push? The feeling is like pang-sai, you know…?

DG : *nod…nod…nod*

Nurse : Then push lah…

DG : *nervous* Have you all informed the doctor?

Nurse : Don’t worry, we’ll call her. In the mean time, you can push when the contraction comes. *check me and then walk out*

Pushing helped to relief the contraction, as the pain now switched focus to private parts with each push. Time seemed to have switched to low gear from now on… Each time the nurses came in I asked them, “Is the doctor here yet?” I was worried that the baby would arrive before she did!

Anyway, she did come in about 10 minutes to 9pm. She came in with just T-shirt and Bermuda shorts; checked me and asked how I was. As she prepared to put on coat and gloves, she asked me to push hard.

Goodness knows how many times I’ve pushed with each contraction, but the baby is still not out yet. Frustrated, I let out a grunt while pushing. The doctor immediately said, “Shhh… Shhh… no sound. If you let out sound, the push will not be strong enough because the energy is lost through sound.” Logical explanation. So, don’t let the movies/dramas (about women screaming their hearts out while giving birth) bluff you…

With a few more pushes, hubby told me to “Push hard, dear, push, I can see the head now…” Panting, I really have to take very, very deep breaths for each push to last long enough. “C’mon, just a few more pushes and the baby will be out.” The doctor spurred me on. She even asked me to place my feet on her hip as support since she was standing beside the bed.

A few more great pushes, then suddenly I felt something slide out. I knew the baby is delivered. It was simply amazing; I felt an enormous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction on the successful VBAC. After that was the delivery of the placenta. I even chatted with my ob-gyn while she was stitching me up. I told her I’ve never seen a placenta before and asked how big it was; she picked up the kidney dish and showed me!

I don’t remember if I nursed Jean immediately after birth. I did carry her for a while. She didn’t cry; just slept very cozily in my arms. It was then I lovingly gazed at her very delicate face and let her fingers clutched mine. I traced her cheek with my index finger and gently pressed my lips on her forehead. Immediately after Ian’s birth, I was overcame with an immense love for him (and doubted at that time if I can have the same feeling for the 2nd one). I had the exact same feeling when I cradle Jean in my arms. Now I know that a mother’s love knows no bounds.

I am thankful to have two healthy and adorable children. I love you two very much, my darlings.
 
posted by domesticgoddess at 8/02/2005 05:01:00 pm | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At Wed Aug 03, 11:25:00 am GMT+8, Blogger EngLee

    Congrats!

     
  • At Wed Aug 03, 02:00:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Annie

    Congrats on ur successful VBAC. I had C-section the first one too! Currently pregnant with no. 2. Dun know can have VBAC like u or not? Since u have experienced both, can u write about the differences in them?

    Annie Tan

     
  • At Wed Aug 03, 09:30:00 pm GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous

    seriously, I still not over come the c-sec fears, sometime I'll dream about it some more *sigh*...

     
  • At Thu Aug 04, 10:35:00 am GMT+8, Blogger mama23beas

    I also screamed when pushing during the birth of my first one. It's true, it does not work that way. Shut my mouth and two pushes later, she was out! Thought I learnt my lesson, but totally forgot about during labour for my second. had to make more pushes compared to the first one!

     
  • At Thu Aug 04, 01:58:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger Ghostbird

    Sounds like your 2nd birth was quite an easy one.

    You didn't laugh with the gas? It made me talk funny, that gas.

     
  • At Mon Aug 08, 03:33:00 pm GMT+8, Blogger domesticgoddess

    chrissy, don't be scared lah, i'm sure it will be an easy delivery!

    englee, thank you :)

    annie, the biggest difference is of course on the recovery time. I would encourage you to ask your ob-gyn to check if your condition allows VBAC. Listen to your doctor's recommendation as they know your history and should know what's best for you.

    twinsmom, still dream of it?! must be real scary eh!!! actually listening to your description that time already 好惊险又紧张!

    mama22beas, hi ros, welcome to my blog. Wish you have a safe and fast delivery again!

    sexymama, yeah i guess for a first timer (with natural birth), it can be considered quite easy. The gas didn't really make me laugh; made me groggy instead.